Everyone wants to get married… but why?
Really think about that for a moment. If you’re looking to get married, ask yourself why you really want it…
Is it because:
- It’s the next logical step in your life
- Your parents want you to
- You’re ready to accept responsibility
- You want to avoid haram
- All of the above
- I don’t know
Your approach to marriage and how successful your marriage will be will very much depend on your answer to the critical question of WHY you want to get married.
If you’re getting married
- because you’ve accomplished many things in your personal life and now you want to add marriage to your list, you’re not going to be emotionally invested into building a strong marriage.
- FOR your parents or because they are pressurizing you, then you may as well give up already because you’re marrying completely for the wrong reasons.
- To avoid haram, you must understand the importance of fulfilling the rights of your spouse in the same way they would be fulfilling yours.
But if you’re looking to marry because you’re ready to accept the responsibility of fulfilling half of your deen, then you’re much more likely to make the right decision when choosing a spouse.
Remember that being a good spouse requires you to be fully responsible for your role in the marriage – and this means being actively able to help and support your spouse spiritually, physically, emotionally and financially (if you’re a brother).
It’s not anyone else’s job to do that – it’s yours! So if you’re ready to step up to the challenge and wholeheartedly accept the responsibilities of being a spouse, then congratulations – you’re ready to get married!
Pure Matrimony – Helping Practising Muslims Get Together And Stay Together!